ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 30378
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby raja » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 am

I know it's a bit early, but it's already 2019 and I'm SO excited England is going to FINALLY win its first ODI World Cup, that I was wondering what your thoughts are on who the losing finalist will be.

Can't wait to see Eoin Morgan lift that Cup.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6556
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby Paddles » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 am

I think England winning would be good for ODI cricket - because they play the most appealing form of odi cricket to attract new fans to the game.

Further - I think their approach is the best efficiently as well. If the pitch is flat - they score a lot of runs. If the pitch is tricky, all bowlers are tricky and they bat deep.

It's so simple but so effective. And great to watch.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 30378
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby raja » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

True.
This England squad is probably the strongest ever, capable of winning in all conditions.
Can't see them lose to any side, certainly not at home.
Only a few months ago they thrashed both Australia and BCCI.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6556
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby Paddles » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 pm

raja wrote:True.
This England squad is probably the strongest ever, capable of winning in all conditions.
Can't see them lose to any side, certainly not at home.
Only a few months ago they thrashed both Australia and BCCI.


And NZ home and away, and SA home and away...

They're miles ahead of everyone else...

But being favourites is no guarantee of winning...
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 17129
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby Katto » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Yes I think we can just about guarantee England of winning, they're really in a different league to everyone else as it is and they're playing at home.
Recent world cups have heavily favoured the home team.

I expect Australia won't make it past the QF if they even make it that far. The other finalist in all likelihood will be one of the usual suspects, India, Pakistan or South Africa.

User avatar
givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1608
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby givemeahug786 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:20 am

Eng right now lost with no opener and poor form by root
Pujara (67*) Guide his team chasing 372 on day 5
Karnataka vs Saurashtra semi now

User avatar
givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1608
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby givemeahug786 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 am

Eng vs India final likely but too early to say may be Eng not even reaches semi
Pujara (67*) Guide his team chasing 372 on day 5
Karnataka vs Saurashtra semi now

User avatar
sportzcraazy12
CF Debutant
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:16 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Contact:
India

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby sportzcraazy12 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:43 am

India, New Zealand and South Africa can make it to semi final. After the current performance of Australian team may be they can not even make it to quarter final.
https://www.sportzcraazy.com/2019-cricket-world-cup/

louie_db9
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:54 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby louie_db9 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Katto wrote:Yes I think we can just about guarantee England of winning, they're really in a different league to everyone else as it is and they're playing at home.
Recent world cups have heavily favoured the home team.

I expect Australia won't make it past the QF if they even make it that far. The other finalist in all likelihood will be one of the usual suspects, India, Pakistan or South Africa.


There are no quarter-finals. Top 4 go to semis.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 17129
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby Katto » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:49 am

louie_db9 wrote:
Katto wrote:Yes I think we can just about guarantee England of winning, they're really in a different league to everyone else as it is and they're playing at home.
Recent world cups have heavily favoured the home team.

I expect Australia won't make it past the QF if they even make it that far. The other finalist in all likelihood will be one of the usual suspects, India, Pakistan or South Africa.


There are no quarter-finals. Top 4 go to semis.


okay, then CA XI won't make it to the final 4

the round robin system will find them out as they're nowhere near a top 4 side

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 27497
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby Going South » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am

What are the pool draws?

For once I don’t want the histrionics of placing BCCI & PCB in same pool.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 17129
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby Katto » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 am

Going South wrote:What are the pool draws?

For once I don’t want the histrionics of placing BCCI & PCB in same pool.


I believe everyone plays everyone once so you wont be able to avoid them

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 30378
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: ODI World Cup 2019 : pre-tournament thoughts

Postby raja » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am

BCCI has an unbeaten record against us.
But we thrashed them in the last Champions Trophy final, so I'm hopeful that if we meet them again in English conditions, we might finally create history.

We reached the final the last time the ODI World Cup was held in England (in 1999), remember?