D/L system for test cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Why don’t we have D/L system for test cricket also ?

We get to see a winner instead of lame draws.

The deadbeats of cricket often play for a DRAW instead of winning.

That’s sad.

In one days or T20 rain has no say.

Every ball counts.

Every player play with immense responsibility.

I see no such in test cricket.

Players go thru motions. I see boredom in their actions.

By enforcing D/L in test cricket all asses would be under fire to perform.

What do you say?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Re: D/L system for test cricket

Postby Going South » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Ofcourse, BCCI got robbed off a win today.

They are the clear winner of this match.

Had D/L in place, win would be sweet.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:20 pm

You saw it here first. Soon someone from cricinfo would copy this as their own article. ;)

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

With ravi shastri in command, it shall be called DwJw system

drunk worth johhny walker system.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
India

Postby Paddles » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Going South wrote:Why don’t we have D/L system for test cricket also ?

We get to see a winner instead of lame draws.

The deadbeats of cricket often play for a DRAW instead of winning.

That’s sad.

In one days or T20 rain has no say.

Every ball counts.

Every player play with immense responsibility.

I see no such in test cricket.

Players go thru motions. I see boredom in their actions.

By enforcing D/L in test cricket all asses would be under fire to perform.

What do you say?

No. Just no.

First test cricket is different in that a draw is a legitimate result - it isn't in limited overs cricket (matches may be tied, or N/R due to rain if before the D/L threshold).

Second - the outrage of a questionable result would be immense from supporters of a certain team. Because time is not an issue, tests even the tail can wag to pull off unlikely victories far more often than comparative limited overs spots. These tail enders may also play for the draw, also.

What should happen, if we're really result and fairness conscious, is introduce reserve days for lost play... but the broadcasters do not like these...

ODI cricket used to have reserve days also...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1644 ... nd-1992-93

Look at the dates...

Presumably first they shorterned it due to rain, and when the rain interfered with the chase - resumed the next day...

Look at how close the result was - could D/L have got that as right or as fair as a reserve day?
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:37 pm

I disagree.
BCCI is the clear winner today but got robbed off.
If not current D/L but a refined one specific for test cricket can be in place so that such stupid draw can be eliminated.

What legitimate reason you support a draw? I can understand if you have extra reserve day.
Same goes for bad light bullshit in this era of technology. You are thinking of day and night cricket, right? Use the damn flood lights. Avoid stupidity in test cricket in this day and age of technology. Bad light my foot. If overs are lost, plan for a contingency. Don’t be a ostrich with head buried in sand. Change rules for changing times. You don’t update & adopt but cry when test cricket faces slow death with less and less youngsters prefer not to play test cricket as kids. Test cricket is the main culprit for You are working against cricket in general for its lost appeal among youngsters.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 pm

A draw is legitimate because the goal is to win within the allocated time and overs period... we're past timeless tests - you're sore it rained - I get that - but Aus had all 10 wickets in hand...

Ill support rain reserve days for tests - not DLS...
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:24 pm

I want to see a new rule of fixing pitch mid match.

I mean why should you let any pitch deteriorate after couple of days and make it horrible for teams playing last?

That means you are putting fate of win or loss in the hands of who win toss and elect to bat first?

You should get away from this dependability of ONE SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE PITCH till the game is over.

Let the pitch be FIXED after two teams bat once on 2nd night or 3rd night whenever you get a break.

Let the host decide on how well they want the pitch be fixed, nothing superficial but a hard roll over cracks would be enough ofcourse under supervision of third umpire.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Going South wrote:I want to see a new rule of fixing pitch mid match.

I mean why should you let any pitch deteriorate after couple of days and make it horrible for teams playing last?

That means you are putting fate of win or loss in the hands of who win toss and elect to bat first?

You should get away from this dependability of ONE SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE PITCH till the game is over.

Let the pitch be FIXED after two teams bat once on 2nd night or 3rd night whenever you get a break.

Let the host decide on how well they want the pitch be fixed, nothing superficial but a hard roll over cracks would be enough ofcourse under supervision of third umpire.

Uhmmm - I'd worry much less about Perth, and look to every single Asian pitch in the world if you want to bring in new rules to stop pitch deterioration making it horrible for teams playing last... why stop at cracks? Why not relay the entire pitch to eliminate footmarks...

In fact - lets go back to matting instead of grass... on concrete - make every single pitch same worldwide with no deterioration in any game...

I don't think cracking pitches are good for cricket - but it has nothing to do with the result... I don't the danger element that they bring to batsmen... it is okay when the variation is lower than normal as was more typically the case in Perth recently, but when the ball flies up off a length, that's dangerous...

HAHA!