Cook retires from international cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Cook retires from international cricket

Postby raja » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 am

His last Test will be at the Oval.

He had a surprisingly poor run in the last couple of years but was a fine opening batsman for most of his career.

Among highlights will certainly be his 2010-11 performance in Australia, and winning a Test series in India (he played a HUGE role in this as a batsman,).

And his highest Test score of 294 is against BCCI - hugely satisfying. :-)

He's only 33 - but has been around as an international cricketer for 12 years now. I remember his Test debut in 2006 - got a century on debut in India. He was flown from the Caribbean to land in India just in time for the Test, I remember.

I remember he got 100s in back-to-back Tests in Bangladesh - I think it was his first series as captain.

160 Tests, 12254 runs, 32 hundreds.
At one time there was talk that he could cross Tendulkar's aggregate - but his bad form struck.

I wish him well for the future.

He's just 33 - wonder what he will do next.

User avatar
Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6965
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 1
Isle of Man

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Leo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 am

Wish all the best for future :)
Time is the Best Speaker

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16028
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Katto » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:30 pm

raja wrote:He's just 33 - wonder what he will do next.


back to playing saxophone or clarinets

User avatar
Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6965
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 1
Isle of Man

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Leo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:26 am

One thing I remember about Cook is, once in this forum people used to criticize Cook. I told "this person is in cricket to stay longer" and like that. By watching his playing style and some of technique (specially footwork) my intuition told it.

Searching for that thread, can't find that. :)
Time is the Best Speaker

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26860
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Going South » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm

he had a good run.

couple of years back everyone started talking about him beating tendulkar records in test cricket in no time etc now looks like he ran out of gas. Hope all of them who used superlatives for cook should now eat their words and accept how great tendulkar is. Cook is no match to tendulkar !

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5682
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby bolero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 pm

I thought he would break Tendulkars test record.

He was a run machine another in a long list of left handed batsmen who enjoyed Indian bowling.

User avatar
Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6965
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 1
Isle of Man

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Leo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am

Going South wrote:he had a good run.

couple of years back everyone started talking about him beating tendulkar records in test cricket in no time etc now looks like he ran out of gas. Hope all of them who used superlatives for cook should now eat their words and accept how great tendulkar is. Cook is no match to tendulkar !


You are comparing Cook with Tendulkar!!!!! Are you serious? Pathetic!!!!!
Time is the Best Speaker

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5193
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Paddles » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:09 am

Leo wrote:
Going South wrote:he had a good run.

couple of years back everyone started talking about him beating tendulkar records in test cricket in no time etc now looks like he ran out of gas. Hope all of them who used superlatives for cook should now eat their words and accept how great tendulkar is. Cook is no match to tendulkar !


You are comparing Cook with Tendulkar!!!!! Are you serious? Pathetic!!!!!

Ridiculous agreed. Tendulkar would never open in a test match in England. 4, 5 or even 6 maybe - but not opener.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5682
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby bolero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am


User avatar
Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6965
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 1
Isle of Man

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Leo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am

^^ This is a thorough analysis of the two batter's career. And the possibility of breaking a record of highest run. Not comparing. Cook is great no doubt but as per technique and adjustment according to condition Tendulkar is not comparable with anyone till now. Kohli . . . . . Let's see.
Time is the Best Speaker

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26860
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Going South » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:00 pm

All I am saying is that all BCCI haters ganged up and made Cook a superman which he is not! He is no God ;)

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5193
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Paddles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am

Leo wrote:^^ This is a thorough analysis of the two batter's career. And the possibility of breaking a record of highest run. Not comparing. Cook is great no doubt but as per technique and adjustment according to condition Tendulkar is not comparable with anyone till now. Kohli . . . . . Let's see.


Not comparable? You act like Tendulkar was Bradman, Smith or Sangakarra as a specialist batsman.

Kohli's a great talent. But he's hardly edging past Smith or KW yet.

Tendulkar is simply one of the many 50plus average middle order players. Not an opener, not a 3, not 60+ - just 50+ and batted 4 and 5. Crickets had many of those. Did he really surpass Steve Waugh or YK? Let alone Lara. Then there's Ponting and Kallis. Border. The list goes on and on. Tendulkar seems very comparable to May and Barrington... Here's Sobers. Headley. Chanderpaul. Miandad. Let's go on... ABdV... Tendulkar is very very comparable.

Tendulkar in odi: legend. Tendulkar in tests - very comparable to many many many great players. Gavaskar is in a smaller pool of greatness - seriously! Hobbs, Hammond Sutcliffe - Gavaskar. Much shorter list.

Kohli is 3rd on batting averages since 2015. He's very good. But Smith and KW at 1 and 2 are not bowing down just yet.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby raja » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Much of Tendulkar's image comes from his ODI performances, not his Test performances.
Indians talk a lot about Desert Storm in Sharjah, when Tendulkar got back-to-back hundreds in 1997-98.
He was an absolute ODI star, no doubt about that.

His Test performances are less exceptional - in a 200-Test career, one can remember perhaps 10 memorable innings.
Not quite deserving of legend-status in the Test arena, I'm afraid.

I'd like to think this wasn't cos he was just a good, not great, batsman.
I think he was a great, who grossly underperformed in the Test arena.
A Test average of 60+ should have been his for the taking; yet he ends up with a less untouchable 53.78.

And finally what matter is not what you COULD have achieved, but what you DID achieve.
And therefore when batsmen like Kallis and Sanga end up with a higher average than Sachin, it does look, stats-wise, that Sachin was no better than these guys - even if many (and Indians, in particular) swear that he was a cut above them, next only to Bradman (some Indians even place him above Bradman).

Kallis and Sanga were allrounders, even if their team didn't use their other skill (bowling or keeping) much later in their careers.

Younis Khan played many a valuable knock for Pakistan, esp in the 3rd / 4th innings, saving or setting up games for them.

Sachin sadly tied himself in knots on more than one occasion in the 3rd/4th innings when his team desperately needed him to show his class.

So, although I personally believe that as a batsman, Sachin was superior to Kallis and Sanga (and YK too), he could have put a stamp of authority on more Tests and killed this debate, once and for all.

Lara is a batsman I hold in very high regard - for Tests, I rate him higher than Sachin.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby raja » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:37 am

My previous post on this thread was about Tendulkar, just realised this thread is about Cook, so back on topic. :-)

I'd say Cook is a good opener, not in the league of Gavaskar but a few notches lower.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5193
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:58 am

raja wrote:Much of Tendulkar's image comes from his ODI performances, not his Test performances.
Indians talk a lot about Desert Storm in Sharjah, when Tendulkar got back-to-back hundreds in 1997-98.
He was an absolute ODI star, no doubt about that.

His Test performances are less exceptional - in a 200-Test career, one can remember perhaps 10 memorable innings.
Not quite deserving of legend-status in the Test arena, I'm afraid.

I'd like to think this wasn't cos he was just a good, not great, batsman.
I think he was a great, who grossly underperformed in the Test arena.
A Test average of 60+ should have been his for the taking; yet he ends up with a less untouchable 53.78.

And finally what matter is not what you COULD have achieved, but what you DID achieve.
And therefore when batsmen like Kallis and Sanga end up with a higher average than Sachin, it does look, stats-wise, that Sachin was no better than these guys - even if many (and Indians, in particular) swear that he was a cut above them, next only to Bradman (some Indians even place him above Bradman).

Kallis and Sanga were allrounders, even if their team didn't use their other skill (bowling or keeping) much later in their careers.

Younis Khan played many a valuable knock for Pakistan, esp in the 3rd / 4th innings, saving or setting up games for them.

Sachin sadly tied himself in knots on more than one occasion in the 3rd/4th innings when his team desperately needed him to show his class.

So, although I personally believe that as a batsman, Sachin was superior to Kallis and Sanga (and YK too), he could have put a stamp of authority on more Tests and killed this debate, once and for all.

Lara is a batsman I hold in very high regard - for Tests, I rate him higher than Sachin.


Agreed.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5193
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:00 am

raja wrote:My previous post on this thread was about Tendulkar, just realised this thread is about Cook, so back on topic. :-)

I'd say Cook is a good opener, not in the league of Gavaskar but a few notches lower.

Agreed again.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5193
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Cook retires from international cricket

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:04 am

Paddles wrote:
raja wrote:Much of Tendulkar's image comes from his ODI performances, not his Test performances.
Indians talk a lot about Desert Storm in Sharjah, when Tendulkar got back-to-back hundreds in 1997-98.
He was an absolute ODI star, no doubt about that.

His Test performances are less exceptional - in a 200-Test career, one can remember perhaps 10 memorable innings.
Not quite deserving of legend-status in the Test arena, I'm afraid.

I'd like to think this wasn't cos he was just a good, not great, batsman.
I think he was a great, who grossly underperformed in the Test arena.
A Test average of 60+ should have been his for the taking; yet he ends up with a less untouchable 53.78.

And finally what matter is not what you COULD have achieved, but what you DID achieve.
And therefore when batsmen like Kallis and Sanga end up with a higher average than Sachin, it does look, stats-wise, that Sachin was no better than these guys - even if many (and Indians, in particular) swear that he was a cut above them, next only to Bradman (some Indians even place him above Bradman).

Kallis and Sanga were allrounders, even if their team didn't use their other skill (bowling or keeping) much later in their careers.

Younis Khan played many a valuable knock for Pakistan, esp in the 3rd / 4th innings, saving or setting up games for them.

Sachin sadly tied himself in knots on more than one occasion in the 3rd/4th innings when his team desperately needed him to show his class.

So, although I personally believe that as a batsman, Sachin was superior to Kallis and Sanga (and YK too), he could have put a stamp of authority on more Tests and killed this debate, once and for all.

Lara is a batsman I hold in very high regard - for Tests, I rate him higher than Sachin.


Agreed.


Though I think anyone bar Voges after 20 innings averaging over 50 is a great - but not necessarily atg. Greats are comparable with further greats.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.