The History of Varying Overs in Cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Since the EWCB decided to do away with the T20 format for its new franchise comp and replace it with a 100 ball format, I thought it would be good if we compiled the history on cricket overs.

At first I thought it to limit it to limited overs cricket, but I think that the over rates and formalities introduced into test cricket are worth a mention too.

And because a lot of this was not standardised, there will be differences in each country.

I'll start, but everyone is welcome to post additional information.

The first ODI match was 40 overs each, which despite being played in Australia in 1971 prima facie matched what England has been serving up in the counties for the popular Sunday League (born1969) in over length, but instead they were 8 ball overs, being 320 balls total, and closer to the 300 balls of 50 overs.

England had of course the GIllette Cup which debuted at 65 overs each in 1963, but dropped to 60 overs in 1964 still at 13 overs max but by 1966 a standard 12 overs each. So the 20% restriction is well established early on.

The first world cup in 1975 was 60 overs each. As was the 1979 and 1983 World Cup finals. All held in England.

England then trimmed this back to a standard 55 overs for ODI at home which it kept until the 1990's.

The 1987 World Cup in India and Pakistan was only 50 overs, which was the length that WSC had promoted in Australia in its second edition (the first edition had been 40 overs as well at 8 balls). WSC had also changed something else in Australia, it reverted back from the 8 ball over to the 6 ball over to give Nine more ad break opportunities. NZ had also dabbled with 8 ball overs, but copied Australia in reverting back to the original.

The 1992 World Cup was the most significant in while being 50 overs, introduced the 30 metre cricle and fielding restrictions that were created during WSC and had been adopted by Aus and NZ. After this world cup, countries began to standardise over lengths and fielding rules - and the 3rd umpire for run outs was introduced later in 1992. From here on, I believe the rules are more universal.

In 1996, Martin Crowe's cricket max was unveiled, the first of the lets a play an entire game in one night formats designed for tv, with 4 innings of 10 overs each.

In 2002, EWCB decided not to adopt cricket max as it was, but merely play ODI type cricket, with a limit of 20 overs each.

And in 2020, EWCB will release 100 ball cricket. Whether it further rewards 6's or what fielding rules it has if different has yet to be announced.

Somewhere in test cricket, and the feared great WI team gets the blame for this, unlimited bouncers were restricted and minimum bowling rates that average to 15 an hour were introduced (WI could at times be well below this and their bowlers accussed of needing to tie too many shoe laces). While this may protect bowler stamina and combat faitgue, in the era before 1939, it would be of little advantage to nations playing timeless tests. Yet in Larwood's day, many more overs were bowled.

NZ in 1949 were given four 3 day tests in England, now we are given two 5 day tests. I am not sure which is better for the NZ cricket fan to be honest.

I am guessing that 120 overs was deemed too much for hotter environments like Australia and India, but somehow I think that the commercial broadcasters in Australia had further reasons to keep the length shorter (such as reducing 320 balls of forty 8 ball overs to 50 6 ball overs). Packer was no fool. Was he worried about the evening news broadcast slots and losiung that audience?

So do share with fuller and further details.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Re: The History of Varying Overs in Cricket

Postby Going South » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 pm

in 2030 do we see 50 ball a side cricket?

in 2040 we play 25 ball a side cricket on mars?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 am

Just like water finds its own level, the game of cricket will find its own level too.

Once 50 overs was considered to be exciting - and decisive - compared to 5-day cricket.
Now, after T20s have come in, many find 50 overs a drag.

If T10s come in, people might welcome it - or reject it.

Maybe a T10, with just 5 wickets per team, not 10.

Whatever, I'm open to innovations - some will work, some won't.

The game will evolve, just as everything else evolves with time.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 am

raja wrote:Just like water finds its own level, the game of cricket will find its own level too.

Once 50 overs was considered to be exciting - and decisive - compared to 5-day cricket.

Raja, but what more can you tell us all of the evolution that has occurred thus far? At the very least you must have further info about the sub continent if not just India.

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 am

If we keep reducing deliveries, a time will come when it will become 6 ball a side cricket. Then some historian would point out that 6 ball a side used to be called tie breaker in pre historical days of T20 cricket. :grin:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm

squarecut wrote:If we keep reducing deliveries, a time will come when it will become 6 ball a side cricket. Then some historian would point out that 6 ball a side used to be called tie breaker in pre historical days of T20 cricket. :grin:

Noooo.

They'll just give a batsman 3 dot balls and he's out.

And 3 wickets is an innings over.

This way you can see your favourite batsmen 4 times a game.

Any bowler will be able to bowl unchanged, but once changed he's replaced for the whole game

And they'll do away with the second batsman, just make the first batsman run to something else. We'll call them bases.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 pm

why do a bowler has to bowl all 6 balls by himself ? Make a rule that anybody can bowl any ball in an over. No limit to how many balls a particular bowler can bowl. Let a good bowler thrive. Let a bad bowler given the door. If a six is hit let the captain change the bowler for next ball.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:39 pm

why 11 players? have no limit. hire some fixed mercenary fielders that are fixed for a position to master fielding there for entire career like a slip expert, boundary expert, forward short leg expert etc and they are paid like umpires. they don’t change when 2 team bats. saves time.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Paddles wrote:
raja wrote:Just like water finds its own level, the game of cricket will find its own level too.

Raja, but what more can you tell us all of the evolution that has occurred thus far? At the very least you must have further info about the sub continent if not just India.

As for varying overs, India has always had 6/over since Indians learnt from the British, and by then it was 6/over.

Otherwise, the changes I remember are not sub-continent specific.

The usual stuff - use of protective gear, the 1 bouncer/over rule, abolishing the rest day.

Speaking specifically for India, the changes have been more in how domestic cricket has been organised.

I'm myself not up-to-date on this - there's some competition where an India Blue plays India Green and so on. I have no clue what this is all about.

I think more competitions now, at different age-levels, in 20-overs, 50-over cricket.

There's a lot of it to keep track of - I don't.

I limit myself to the traditonal Ranji, Duleep and Irani Trophies.

Longer-format of the game. :-)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:04 pm

raja wrote:
Paddles wrote:

As for varying overs, India has always had 6/over since Indians learnt from the British, and by then it was 6/over.

Otherwise, the changes I remember are not sub-continent specific.

The usual stuff - use of protective gear, the 1 bouncer/over rule, abolishing the rest day.

Speaking specifically for India, the changes have been more in how domestic cricket has been organised.

I'm myself not up-to-date on this - there's some competition where an India Blue plays India Green and so on. I have no clue what this is all about.

I think more competitions now, at different age-levels, in 20-overs, 50-over cricket.

There's a lot of it to keep track of - I don't.

I limit myself to the traditonal Ranji, Duleep and Irani Trophies.

Longer-format of the game. :-)

The bouncer rule has been in a constant state of flux - it was unrestricted until bodyline, then only two fielders were allowed behind squre on the leg side. Then it was one per over after the West Indian domination, now what is it? 2 per over? Or one per batsman? It changes all the time.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 pm

oh now they made it a no ball and free hit after bouncer.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Going South wrote:oh now they made it a no ball and free hit after bouncer.

No.