Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

Postby Paddles » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

And the most patently obvious secret has been confirmed publicly. Since returning home from the IPL and promptly retiring from his NZC coaching gig, despite NZ not due to play anywhere for months... Mike Hesson is now an IPL coach.

He will be taking over from Brad Hodge at King's XI Punjab on a two year contract.

He is a very good coach. He is taking over a weak team - with no big re-auction to turn it around over night.

But he also focuses on selecting balanced teams, and executing game plans based around the strengths of the team (when to contain, when to attack, etc). He is very hands on and not simply a "mentor" but a strategist.

I wish him every success. I just wished he had stayed on as a consultant for NZ's world cup team (I get that he would have been unable to finish the home season given the IPL prep time and mini-auctions requires the attention of the coaches).

Hopefully, this motivates future NZC coaches to aim high and get the pathway into the Indian Cricket Rupee.

Comments on NZ social media are divided between wishing him luck, and anger for not staying until the World Cup as originally contracted.

The anger just demonstrates how respected his coaching is and demanded.

The double standard between a "sack the coach" mentality despite being contracted and "don't walk out on a contract" for coaches is rather amusing to me.
Elite honesty:
At the toss Faf said to Finch that you lads can bat - Finch replied "no, no we can't-we really can't".

Finch then saw Travis Head and Darcy Short start put on sun screen and said "Getting a bit optimistic aren't you?"

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 pm

So the NZ t20 side lost all momentum after Munro's dismissal, and NZA have been getting smashed, something excellent has happened.

Boy wonder, Rachin Ravindra, in his first first-class match, playing the might of Pak A - away, in a team where current test players Watling and Raval failed, where Young and Worker failed, has currently top scored batting at 4 with 70.

Auspicious start for a kid whose future career has been hyped for years now.

I do hope he pulls it off and is ready to slot into the NZ test team on Ross Taylor's retirement.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1888 ... ae-2018-19
Elite honesty:
At the toss Faf said to Finch that you lads can bat - Finch replied "no, no we can't-we really can't".

Finch then saw Travis Head and Darcy Short start put on sun screen and said "Getting a bit optimistic aren't you?"

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:51 am

Sean Solia is still at it.

Taking 4/39, then scoring 39.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/ ... 07109.html

I don't think his bowling at intl would be anything better than 6th or 7th option. Especially on a road at the World Cup.

But his form is absolutely fizzing. And given the stark shortage of batsmen, if he maintains this form, he very much could get a call up if anyone gets injured through the home summer.
Elite honesty:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:05 am

NZ seems to keep throwing up new, exciting prospects - this, while the existing players hardly get to play much cricket.
What needs to happen to ensure NZ play at least 10 Tests a year and at least 25 ODIs a year? (T20Is I'm not too hassled about.)
This is not too much to ask for, is it?
They have exciting players, but just cos their home market is small, they're not seen as commercially viable to monetise more.

But I'd gladly see more BCCI-NZ games than BCCI-SL, in any format.
If it means these need to be played in India (for commercial reasons), so be it.
Have a proper 5-Test series with NZ in India - for the first time in BCCI's history with NZ.
Am sure there will be enough interest in India.
Certainly more than matches against SL.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:41 am

raja wrote:NZ seems to keep throwing up new, exciting prospects - this, while the existing players hardly get to play much cricket.
What needs to happen to ensure NZ play at least 10 Tests a year and at least 25 ODIs a year? (T20Is I'm not too hassled about.)
This is not too much to ask for, is it?
They have exciting players, but just cos their home market is small, they're not seen as commercially viable to monetise more.

But I'd gladly see more BCCI-NZ games than BCCI-SL, in any format.
If it means these need to be played in India (for commercial reasons), so be it.
Have a proper 5-Test series with NZ in India - for the first time in BCCI's history with NZ.
Am sure there will be enough interest in India.
Certainly more than matches against SL.

Thanks for the kinds words to NZC fans raja.

NZC schedules about 4 to 5 home tests each year. What NZC does not get is the away tours. England only gives NZC two tests every four years or so. So the last two off seasons NZC has not really played many tests at all. It was 5 tests for 18 months until the Pakistan tests get under way. And the last t20 game was the first NZC match in any format since the first week of April!!!!!

Ironically, NZ was last in SL in 2012. They just do not want us over there. West Indies has been an eternity as well.

BCCI like NZC in India - and gave us a bonus limited overs tour last year - but are very slow to reciprocate back so it will be many years between New Zealand hosting in India in tests from the last tour (bad tv time zone for Indians apparently - which should be irrelevant because host gets the broadcast dollars).

Rachin Ravindra is the big hope of NZC fans and has been for years. His father, like many Indian parents seem to do, turned making his son into an international cricketer as a project. And so far - he has come up trumps. I read that he even arranged tours to India for Rachin's club (that he founded and coaches!) to play games!

http://kwese.espn.com/cricket/story/_/i ... cket-genes

Rachin is named as such - because his father loved Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar - so his son is named Rachin!!!!!

https://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/spo ... an-legends

Because Ross does not have long to go, NZC fans need this kid to be a success to keep our current ranking and wins from the past 7 years or so because KW will not be able to do it by himself.

Solia is really only exciting to me. Not many Kiwis rate him or even are aware of him. But I think anyone who averages what he does, has to be worth a go at some point.
Elite honesty:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:13 pm

wow. loved the name RACHIN. :up:
looking forward to see him perform.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:50 am

The A tour in UaE against Pakistan continues to be interesting. Will Young has followed his good form with 73* as he and Watling managed to earn NZA a draw. Good to see Watling make some runs before the tests.

Concerning double failure from Raval before the tests.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1889 ... ae-2018-19

Will Young must be making a case for himself now to be the reserve test batsman. In fact, I am sure the role is his by now. The question is whether he will (or when) be the reserve ODI batsman.

No wickets for Astle which is a worry heading into the tests but he demonstrated his value with the bat with 70 ball 29 when NZA was in trouble. Kuggs continues to take wickets - but he has to get past Matt Henry - who still isn't in the international teams.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:40 am

Been reading some doomsayers about NZ's hopeful performance in the next World Cup.

What I think:

NZ is missing two of its elite ODI players in Guptil and Santner right now. This will weaken any team no end. Take Sharma out of India and see how they go. That is what losing Guptil is like for NZ. Santner is NZ's most economical spinner. He is also the engine room at number 8.

Taylor is far more effective at ODI than he is at T20i. This is why he was dropped from the T20i team not that long ago.

NZ if Guppie, Santner, KW, Latham, Santner, Taylor and Boult are all fit - NZ is a semi finalist threat at the World Cup. There are support seamers in Henry and Southee. Milne and Rance. There are support spin options in Astle (who is an engine room bat at 8 as well) and Sodhi if 2 spinners are needed.

NZ's weakness is the All-rounder spot. CdG is unrealiable for his 10 overs. He needs Munro's support. Munro if he loses form with the bat, is not an immediate player to drop because he is looking after CdG. Corey is still not bowling 10 overs. And often when he bowls, he is serving up crap.

My point is this, NZ still has the same problem that it did before the 2017 Champions Trophy. The allrounder spot - be it Neesham, CDG or Corey, noone is in 2014/15 Corey Anderson form.

It may actually be that once Santner returns, NZ's best option is actually Santner and Astle at 7 and 8, bowling 20 overs of spin. With KW and Munro as reserve 6th and 7th bowlers

The selectors have Nicholls at 6, and though he is a spud, he growing to be a better spud, an agria perhaps.

But NZ is unable to afford any injuries to batsmen. (And NZ needs Santner back).

NZ batting depth is now almost at 0*. Chapman, Phillips, Seifert have all failed. Worker only scores square and wants to open slowly.

*The one exception is Will Young, but he is a slow scoring top order player.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 am

Losing confidence in Stead by the day. But I still have hope.

Despite Will Young being the only NZA batsman to make runs (consistently and many of them) - he has added G "I only hit the ball square off the wicket" Worker to the NZ squad.

Seriously.

Corey Anderson is injured for the ODI series. Again. This guy is becoming a walking hospital ward.

And Todd Astle - the only person remotely qualified to replace Santner with bat and ball - is injured for the first ODI game at least.

So Sodhi and Patel, with Boult and Lockie/Southee/Henry and no Corey means a very long tail starting with CDG at 7. A very, very long tail. And that means CdG will bowl.

Pakistan are clearly favourites now for this ODI series.

That all said - I want Matt Henry to get some game time. He is overdue to play some games. 35 games in 5 years is far below his talent (with 67 wickets in those games).

I do not want to see Worker play. But I think he will. Likely XI for first game:

1 Worker 2 Munro 3 KW 4 Taylor 5 Latham 6 Nicholls 7 CdH 8 Southee 9 Patel 10 Sodhi 11 Boult ------ So much tail. Who I would play?

1 Latham 2 Munro 3 KW 4 Taylor 5 Young 6 Nicholls 7 CdG 8 (I give up if Santer/Astle and Corey are all injured - there is no-one remotely qualified for this role in the squad at all) 9 Henry 10 Sodhi 11 Boult

NZC is staring down the barrel of a thrashing here.

No Astle, Santner, Guptil, Anderson, all injured -

and then CdG still playing - slim chance of a NZC win. Very slim chance.

NZ will need centuries from the likes of Munro, KW, Taylor, Latham and even Nicholls. It needs collapses inspired by Boult, Ferg, Henry, Sodhi and Patel. Because the "team" will not win this. NZC needs individual match winning brilliance. Because the "team" is missing too many players and has no balance at all.

This is the weakest NZC "team" since 2017 Champs Trophy. Ugh. We're back to that already. I know NZC will bounce back with a fit Guptill and Santner - but right now I feel like I just walked back to mid 1990's - and there's no C Cairns.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Well, well, well - it appears that the allrounder spot for the World Cup may not be totally problematic afterall.

Dumped by the national team after a dire run of performances, Jimmy Neesham then hit a low in domestic last season, was dropped by his domestic team. He then took a break from cricket. Internationally, his bowling had gotten terrible and appeared to be getting worse.

He moved to Wellington with sole focus of getting back into the NZC team. And - he appears to be on track.

This is great news for NZC fans - after 4 rounds, Jimmy has put up good bowling in 3/4 of the games - and scored runs in 3/4 of the games.

This is brilliant! Well done Jimmy! Keep it up, get back in the national team, and replicate it at intls please because Corey is injured every 2 minutes (not bowling all that well) and CdG in the ODI team is a liability (his bowling is so hittable, and he struggles to win games in the chase with the bat).

Also starring in domestic, again, is Hamish Bennett - but turning 32 soon - he seems to have been one of the more unappreciated NZ fast bowling talents around - and very unlucky to have not played more often.
Last edited by Paddles on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:43 am

Jimmy Neesham again! 67(46)

Hopefully he bowls well in the second innings.

This is brilliant stuff Jimmy!

4/5 in the runs. Will it be his bowling day too?
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 am

Spare a thought for Willem Luddick.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica ... 05687.html

He has had a magnificent start to his professional career in NZ.

But he just conceded 43 runs in ONE List A over.

2 no balls - meant he was punished.

4 6nb 6nb 6 1 6 6 6
4 7 7 6 1 6 6 6 = 43.

Not sure if it is a record for list A. But it seems quite possible.
Elite honesty:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm

video here

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ki ... 50elb.html

may be lesson for all youngsters on how not to bowl in a T20. ;)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Going South wrote:video here

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ki ... 50elb.html

may be lesson for all youngsters on how not to bowl in a T20. ;)

It was List A 50 overs :lol:
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Just look at this - this is just some of the SA talent serving their 4 years to qualify for NZ (there are more):

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica ... 96099.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica ... 05687.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/ ... 79860.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica ... 79140.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/ ... 62006.html

And I am sure that there is much more in England and possibly even in Australia too.

In about 10 years time, I expect the NZC side to be dominated with Safricans. I swear, besides Sean Solia, Rachin Ravindra and Kuggeleijn - all the young exciting talent in New Zealand seems to speak Afrikans.

The national team already has Wagner, Munro, Watling, Philips and CdG is Zimbabwean.

Ludick and Foxcroft played in NZ in the u-19 World Cup in 2016 for SA - now in three years time - they will be eligible for NZ.

It has gotten to the point - that there are now quotas in NZ domestic cricket that only TWO qualifying players may be played in FC and List A. Personally I disagree with the level of quota. If migrated here permanently, if committed to playing in NZ and for NZ (which is far less money than Eng or Aus), then if they're the best - let them play is my philosophy*. The Safrican migrants are doing wonderful things for raising the standard and levels of performance of cricket in NZ.

And who wouldn't embrace Neil Wagner as a Kiwi sports hero?

* The issue is to make sure that there are currently eligible players so as to play for the National team - but 12 places out of 66 seems very limited. The quotas I imagine could be set higher without harming the national team selection. Plus why keep forcing people to move teams as they seek to qualify? I would immediately raise the quota to 3 or 4.
Last edited by Paddles on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 am

Okay - to first ODI match - Sure enough Worker played. And failed. Hopefully after this tour he is put on the back-burner to drastically sort out his technique that may yield many domestic runs, is just not international standard.

And sure enough Taylor and Latham rebuilt the innings well after the top order more or less failed. Southee ended up playing at 8 (I am not a fan of this but it was predictable given no Santner or Astle) and Fergusson played instead of Patel. Fergusson appears to have a had a good game - which is pleasing, but Pakistan were obviously on the back foot after Boult's hattrick. So I do not read too much into his and CdG's good showing and E/R. I do not believe Pakistan looking to score fast, but merely rebuild the innings.

The win was of course set up Boult's hattrick, Latham and Ross's partnership (who is a much better 50 overs batsman than t20) and some fighting for runs from Sodhi and Southee. Great to see Sodhi regularly chipping in with the bat and the wagging NZ tail being as resilient as ever.

Latham has a great record in Asia now in both formats. (His home records are dire, away much better and Asia is favourite place to tour it would appear). I am very pleased with his development in the middle order - and he now seems to be scoring more swiftly as well.

Sodhi's economy is a bit of a problem this tour. Hope to see Astle get a game at some point.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am

Boy Wonder, Rachin Ravindra - has just hit his 2nd 50 in his 3rd first class innings all against Pakistan A away in Dubai.

Is this urban legend, this myth that he is the next Kane Williamson actually true? I don't know about any of that.

But I can tell you, after 3 FC innings, all at intl A level - this kid averages over 50 :-) With 2 50's - all scored away at A intl level!!!!!!

And I am very happy about it.

(also Raval scored 97 before the tests - go Diwali Kiwis - go go go :-) )
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Well I went to be last night instead of watching the match. Nicholls blocking it around 33(63) was just too much for me. Taylor 86*(120) did well to see the 50 overs through with wickets falling around him, but at some point Nicholls and CdG 3(12) should have put the pedal down. Southee batting at 8 is obviously too high 13 (21). If Munro opens, if Nicholls is in the team, there needs to be an 8 who is able to bat well.

Worker 28(50) was just unpleasant viewing. Almost everything is still scored square (except for his straight drive to run out KW). I didn't watch the bowling at all. I am pleased that Sodhi bowled economically. Fergusson 3 wickets at 6 runs an over - seems like he was smacked around a bit. But as Boult went for the same ER - maybe NZ were trying to buy wickets. I don't quite buy into Fergusson - I think he is getting too many opportunities ahead of Milne and more importantly Matt Henry. That said, it is upto the selectors to give them the opportunities to stake their WC claims.

CdG bowled 4 overs for 15 which appears promising at least. But in 18 innings with the bat - he has only hit NZ to victory ONCE. Santner did more than him last season from the number 8 spot!

Perhaps NZC's frailties with no Santner and CdG at 7 led to Nicholls going so slow - but I doubt it. He oft goes very slow in the rebuilding phase.

I remember when Safrica toured NZ and the series went 3-2 where NZ won off Taylor and Guptill hundreds because the team was unabalanced. The team is starting to feel that way again. Guptill and Santner's return will help a lot with this, but it still has that vibe. I do not think CdG, as good as he is in the test team, has earned his limited overs spot.

I do believe if Neesham keeps performing, he deserves a second chance. I was Neesham's firmest critic in 2017, but he is obviously not the same player now that he was then. I have wanted Munro to be given opportunities at all levels, but the 2 Colin's for all their mercurial 6 hitting ability and wicket taking dibbly dobblying, are just not churning out consistency in contributing to wins in ODI. I doubt Stead has the stomach for such changes now - so close to the World Cup - but G Worker is not going to win NZC a semi final in a World Cup. Munro and CdG might - but how many losses will they bring in the pool phase?

And could someone - anyone - please explain to me why Colin manages to churn out the t20 and t20i scores opening, but not the ODI scores opening? I just do not get it! The ball is the same. The teams are the same. The pitches are the same. The fielding restrictions for the opening powerplay are the same.

Sometimes players you just like - read their life story - laugh at their expressions - and just want them to succeed and be successful. That is how I feel about the two Colin's whereas Santner had to win me over with good performances before I was a fan. But he did in limited overs. And he did again. And again. And again.

And sadly, I care about NZC winning more.

Worker has to drastically re-modify his entire gameplan and scoring zones as well as his approach to cricket before I will remotely be a fan of his. I want to see Solia shoot the lights out, and replace Munro in the ODI team (he has a handy medium option as a 6th bowler), Neesham's form continue so as to replace CdG:

This is my dream team for trialing this summer if all stay in form.

1 Guppie
2 Solia 6
3 KW 7
4 Taylor
5 Latham +
6 ?????? Perhaps Munro needs to drop down the order in ODI?
7 Neesham 5
8 Santner 4
9 Southee 2
10 Henry/Milne 3
11 Boult 1
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 am

While Latham and Taylor have demonstrated an ability to successfully chase down the big scores, it appears that NZC now has a problem, that the only time NZC post a big score batting first, Guptil or Munro score large. There is too much reliance on Guptill.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:13 am

Dean Foxcroft on fire in the Ford Trophy. Over 3 years before he is eligible. This could be a very long wait.

Neesham in the runs again. Well done Jimmy.

Well done!
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:33 pm

The Bad news - Jimmy Neesham got smacked around today.

The Good news - he hit his first List A hundred.

His bowling is the primary concern - but hats off Neesham - today was a great day for you and you got your team in a winning position that just couldn't quite seal the deal.

Well done Neesh. I want to see your bowling dominate as well - but this was a massive step on your path back to international cricket. Well done!
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:01 pm

NZC tie the ODI series with the third match rained out. Unfortunately Munro failed again with the bat in ODI.

I just do not understand how he does so much better in t20. It has to be simply just good or bad luck.

Ferguson seems to be more sure of his position in the team now. And Henry did alright filling in for Southee while Boult got tonked around a bit.

Onto the tests now - be interesting which combo's NZ pull out - especially in regards to the spinners. Tastle is injured, Santner is injured. So there will be a very long tail for NZ. I think there are several spots up for grabs between Sommerville, Patel, Sodhi, CdG and Southee.

1 Latham
2 Raval
3 KW
4 Taylor
5 Nicholls (or will the selectors be tempted by Will Young?)
6 Watling +
10 Wagner
11 Boult
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:28 am

New Zealand A Squad
George Worker (Central Stags)
Will Young (Central Stags)
Tim Seifert (Northern Districts)
Glenn Phillips (Auckland Aces)
Rachin Ravindra (Wellington Firebirds)
Dane Cleaver (Central Stags, game one only)
Cam Fletcher (Canterbury, games two and three only)
Doug Bracewell (Central Stags)
Kyle Jamieson (Canterbury)
Lockie Ferguson (Auckland Aces, games two and three only)
Seth Rance (Central Stags)
Blair Tickner (Central Stags)
Scott Kuggeleijn (Northern Districts, game one only)
Logan van Beek (Wellington Firebirds)
Theo van Woerkom (Canterbury)

How in earth and on what planet is Bennett behind all of:

Jamieson, Rance, Tickner, Kuggs, Van Beek, Lockie and Doug Bracewell? Havn't the selectors been down the Doug Bracewell road enough already?

This is nonsense. And what on earth is Cam Fletcher doing in a team that already has G Phillips and T Seifert? Stuff it - lets send in Dane Cleaver as well. 4 wicket keepers! Why not look at some batsmen? Is G Phillips really one of the best FC batsmen in NZ? Or is this a T20 selection? George Worker doesn't even average 30 in FC cricket. How does he keep making the NZA red ball team?

Now it may be that Bennett and Hay were omitted because they're captains. Which is stupid. It may be that Hay is seen as the instant replacement for Raval or Latham if there's a injury there, and that he only has this season and next before retiring. Even if so, wouldn't it be nice to send the best team to try and avoid getting thrashed and seeing who plays well in a competitive game of cricket?

I am not worried about Theo Van Woerkom - NZC is out of spinners who are not retired at international level. Santner and Astle in the hospital ward, Patel, Sodhi and Sommervillle in UAE, sorry India - we're just out of spinners for your batsmen to torment. So have a guy with 8 FC wickets bowl to Nair, Sharma, Vijay, and Shaw.

Anyway - I like the rest of the country - wish Will Young and Ravindra the best of luck and every success.
Elite honesty:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Most of these names are new for me, Paddles.
If a guy like Worker can keep getting chances, why not one game for you, Paddles? :-)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm

raja wrote:Most of these names are new for me, Paddles.
If a guy like Worker can keep getting chances, why not one game for you, Paddles? :-)

Wait, you want to demote me to the A team? :-(

Yeah most the names should be new to you - but it just demonstrates how stacked with seamers NZC is. There's a total and utter glut of them right now. It also demonstrates just how short of batsmen NZC is. And even then - last years best performing batsman and a solid averaging over 40 at FC level for career in G Hay, is not there.

And these wicket keeper batsmen in Seifert and Phillips have now had a ton of investment by NZC - if they do not become international quality, NZC is not to blame.
Elite honesty:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:12 pm

no wonder as there are no muslim names ;)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:05 am

So New Zealand gets ready for Pakistan, Stead has conformed A Patel will get a debut. Excellent. Sodhi and Sommerville he has not made up his mind on yet. And he has said Wagner will play with Boult and Southee on rotation (which means CdG will play).

I'd like to see Sommerville too, and don't want to see any injuries to Boult - so if they want to balance his workload, then fine. Not sure Southee deserves to be ahead of Henry - but whatever.

What is more alarming is that if KW is not fit to play, Tom Blundell will come into the team (that already has Watling, Latham and Nicholls) instead of Will Young. Why? What good reason for this?
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 am

At some point, NZC will need to think about employing it owns Film Crew and commentators.

This Ind A series would have a massive viewership by Indians around the world right now if it were available.

Put simply, it is valuable. Every minute of it that does not clash with the Indian national team, will get attention.

NZC could have sold this series for a small fortune and made more than a small profit in the process.
Elite honesty:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:41 am

Going South wrote:

no wonder as there are no muslim names ;)

Exactly. :lmao:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 am

Paddles wrote:

Yeah most the names should be new to you - but it just demonstrates how stacked with seamers NZC is. There's a total and utter glut of them right now. It also demonstrates just how short of batsmen NZC is. And even then - last years best performing batsman and a solid averaging over 40 at FC level for career in G Hay, is not there.

And these wicket keeper batsmen in Seifert and Phillips have now had a ton of investment by NZC - if they do not become international quality, NZC is not to blame.

Oh, didn't realise this was an A team.
Your sights are definitely higher. :-)

Btw, how strong is the NZ domestic circuit? I know nothing at all about it, except names of a few team like Canterbury and Northern Districts.

I presume you have multiple domestic competitions for the longer (4/5-day) format, 50-over, T20 and so on?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:28 am

raja wrote:
Paddles wrote:

Oh, didn't realise this was an A team.
Your sights are definitely higher. :-)

Btw, how strong is the NZ domestic circuit? I know nothing at all about it, except names of a few team like Canterbury and Northern Districts.

I presume you have multiple domestic competitions for the longer (4/5-day) format, 50-over, T20 and so on?

6 teams, 5 are typically solid to good - 1 is is the weakest consistently (Otago - its cold down there, but they developed Wagner for the current team).

The domestic circuit is not bad imo. When I started watching BBL - Aus was ahead of NZC - but now - I think its either comparable or possibly NZC has the edge.

The domestic circuit is dominated by a stack of medium fast swing and seam bowlers. Batsmen struggle to dominate in NZ in October and November, and then by March the spinners for the first time in the season just wreck havoc on tired pitches.

Seam bowling stocks in NZ are strong, they're just not typically pacey. They won't get us wins in Aus anytime soon. Bolero knows what I mean. They're the kind of bowlers who can wreck havoc in England, but toil on flatter tracks.

Our batting stocks are weak overall compared to India. Not even close. Every NZ domestic team is carrying spud batsmen - and of those starring, many are Sarficans not yet qualified to play for NZC. India's domestic batsmen surplus exceeds anything NZ has (goes without saying on the spinner front). NZ's batting stocks are only slightly less dire than what SA, England and Aus is facing right now. Actually, nothing is lower than the English batting quality - 18 teams is a shameful dream of mediocrity imo outside possibly SAfrican quota players.

But there are good green bowlers in NZ. Bennett at the top of the list. Hopefully, NZC just keeps importing Safrican U-19 batsmen (as they have been doing) to keep the standards rising.
Last edited by Paddles on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elite honesty:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

I've always been impressed by how NZ manages to punch above its weight.

If I remember right, except for that one ICC tournament in Kenya in 2000 (when Chris Cairns played with a dodgy knee and still managed to get a hundred in the final to win it for NZ against BCCI), they haven't won any major tournament, have they?

Despite just that one win, they've never been a walkover.
Got to the World Cup final last time - hopefully will win it next time. :-)

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm

raja wrote:I've always been impressed by how NZ manages to punch above its weight.

this i agree.
bangladesh also does at times.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 pm

raja wrote:I've always been impressed by how NZ manages to punch above its weight.

If I remember right, except for that one ICC tournament in Kenya in 2000 (when Chris Cairns played with a dodgy knee and still managed to get a hundred in the final to win it for NZ against BCCI), they haven't won any major tournament, have they?

That's still more silverware than England. And tied with South Africa. That 2000 win in Kenya is NZC's only ICC victory. But putting it into perspective, NZC has never hosted the final of an ICC event either. Ever. At all.

Remarkably NZ has made the semi finals of the World Cup no fewer than 7 times, which is only matched by Australia. Then India and Pakistan follow with 6 times. Pakistan is in fact the only team to have beaten NZ in NZ during a World Cup. But cricket has never been a major source of NZ sporting pride. And the fact that cricket remains behind a paywall in NZ, has left it further out of vogue. Many people in NZ just do not get the opportunity to watch cricket games. There are only 705,000 subscriptions to pay tv in NZ - this includes bar, hotels, holiday homes, businesses as well as regular homes.

NZ consistently lacks the pure batting talent to win matches easily. Sure there's been Turner, Crowe, Flemming, Astle, Taylor, Gup and KW. But never enough of them in the one team. If you notice in NZ's one ICC victory, it was relying on an allrounder to make a century. That's not how finals are typically won. So NZ has been very creative with ODI (in 1992 the Greatbatch launch in the powerplay precedes Kaluwithathrana by an entire World Cup, opening bowling spinners with Dipak Patel, and the dibbly dobbly bowlers, then McCullum's 2015 side played with a lot of aggression that England and Morgan then looked to emulate - but to be honest, England went further and have done it better).

Being a cricket fan is far more different in NZ to being a rugby fan. Rugby is New Zealand's sporting obsession and the rugby team just wins everything, all the time (home and away), to the point where the cricketers were the butt of jokes by many in the Kiwi mainstream. But these days, the mainstream has little idea of cricket. I don't think international fans realize this. Rugby also takes almost all the dual talent (on which there are stacks out of schoolboy). Then cricket has to compete head on with water sports in the summer season, and given the NZ success at Olympics in rowing, canoeing/kayaking, and sailing, cricket is far more on the margins in NZ than many would think. And in 2021, NZ will host the America's Cup it won - sailing will be the sole focus of the country for that entire summer. Cricket will barely get a murmur.

Over 80% of the country would have no idea who Tom Latham is. Kiwi cricket fans follow cricket because they love the game. Wins would be nice, but they're not expected nor demanded like they are in differing nations. NZ gets it sporting success from dominating water sports and rugby. Even cycling. Cricket is not that big in NZ. And fans that follow the game, are far more rare than you would think.

Cricket in mainstream NZ peaked in the 1980's until 1992 following the underarm with success of Hadlee and many ODI games vs Australia, interest slid as NZ performances did post-Hadlee but cricket has declined and decayed behind a paywall since 1998. That Kerry Packer WSC was a great thing for NZ cricket in the 1980's, because when NZ played, the games were broadcast in NZ for free - but once pay tv got involved, cricket just became a side note in NZ. Since the 1992 World Cup, cricket has been sliding in NZ due to poor performances. Then in 1996 Professional Rugby came along to eat into the cricket season at both ends. Since 1998 - cricket has simply been on life support.

Cricket in NZ will get to the point where it ends up being a game played solely by sub-continental/Safrican migrants and private school kids (and the Grammar equivalents). This is the exact same issue England was facing with cricket, and why they have started the Hundred which will be broadcast on the BBC free to air.

England's obsession with football and NZ's with rugby mean cricket has to be carefully nurtured. I think Australia is the only country outside Asia that truly has a mainstream cricket following. Whites in Safrica love rugby far more and the Blacks love football from what I have been informed - but it does seem more mainstream with Safrican whites than in NZ or England.
Last edited by Paddles on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 am

NZC trialing Will Young as an opener for NZA.

Good proactive move NZC - I like it.

Has the opportunity to get Latham down to 5 where he ought to be. Keeps Raval honest in the mean time who had a very lean 2018 and failed in county.

Latham may even become the test keeper after Watling retires if Blundell's debut ends up just being a flash in the pan.
Elite honesty:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 am

Paddles wrote:

That's still more silverware than England. And tied with South Africa. That 2000 win in Kenya is NZC's only ICC victory. But putting it into perspective, NZC has never hosted the final of an ICC event either. Ever. At all.

Remarkably NZ has made the semi finals of the World Cup no fewer than 7 times, which is only matched by Australia. Then India and Pakistan follow with 6 times. Pakistan is in fact the only team to have beaten NZ in NZ during a World Cup. But cricket has never been a major source of NZ sporting pride. And the fact that cricket remains behind a paywall in NZ, has left it further out of vogue. Many people in NZ just do not get the opportunity to watch cricket games. There are only 705,000 subscriptions to pay tv in NZ - this includes bar, hotels, holiday homes, businesses as well as regular homes.

NZ consistently lacks the pure batting talent to win matches easily. Sure there's been Turner, Crowe, Flemming, Astle, Taylor, Gup and KW. But never enough of them in the one team. If you notice in NZ's one ICC victory, it was relying on an allrounder to make a century. That's not how finals are typically won. So NZ has been very creative with ODI (in 1992 the Greatbatch launch in the powerplay precedes Kaluwithathrana by an entire World Cup, opening bowling spinners with Dipak Patel, and the dibbly dobbly bowlers, then McCullum's 2015 side played with a lot of aggression that England and Morgan then looked to emulate - but to be honest, England went further and have done it better).

Being a cricket fan is far more different in NZ to being a rugby fan. Rugby is New Zealand's sporting obsession and the rugby team just wins everything, all the time (home and away), to the point where the cricketers were the butt of jokes by many in the Kiwi mainstream. But these days, the mainstream has little idea of cricket. I don't think international fans realize this. Rugby also takes almost all the dual talent (on which there are stacks out of schoolboy). Then cricket has to compete head on with water sports in the summer season, and given the NZ success at Olympics in rowing, canoeing/kayaking, and sailing, cricket is far more on the margins in NZ than many would think. And in 2021, NZ will host the America's Cup it won - sailing will be the sole focus of the country for that entire summer. Cricket will barely get a murmur.

Over 80% of the country would have no idea who Tom Latham is. Kiwi cricket fans follow cricket because they love the game. Wins would be nice, but they're not expected nor demanded like they are in differing nations. NZ gets it sporting success from dominating water sports and rugby. Even cycling. Cricket is not that big in NZ. And fans that follow the game, are far more rare than you would think.

Cricket in mainstream NZ peaked in the 1980's until 1992 following the underarm with success of Hadlee and many ODI games vs Australia, interest slid as NZ performances did post-Hadlee but cricket has declined and decayed behind a paywall since 1998. That Kerry Packer WSC was a great thing for NZ cricket in the 1980's, because when NZ played, the games were broadcast in NZ for free - but once pay tv got involved, cricket just became a side note in NZ. Since the 1992 World Cup, cricket has been sliding in NZ due to poor performances. Then in 1996 Professional Rugby came along to eat into the cricket season at both ends. Since 1998 - cricket has simply been on life support.

Cricket in NZ will get to the point where it ends up being a game played solely by sub-continental/Safrican migrants and private school kids (and the Grammar equivalents). This is the exact same issue England was facing with cricket, and why they have started the Hundred which will be broadcast on the BBC free to air.

England's obsession with football and NZ's with rugby mean cricket has to be carefully nurtured. I think Australia is the only country outside Asia that truly has a mainstream cricket following. Whites in Safrica love rugby far more and the Blacks love football from what I have been informed - but it does seem more mainstream with Safrican whites than in NZ or England.

Very good analysis, Paddles. Thanks.

On Australia, if cricket continues on its downhill slide in that country, I fear we might soon see it also suffering the same fate as in NZ.
After all, it's all about eyeballs - and there are just SO many distractions/attractions competing for the same eyeball space today.
Not just in sport, but across all spheres that demand attention.

For example, even Bollywood is hesitant to release big-budget movies during the IPL.
In India, the evening IPL games are 8.00 p.m - 12 midnight slots (the earlier game, on days of 2 matches, is from 4.00 p.m - 8.00 p.m).
This grabbing of prime time straightaway hits Bollywood's viewership.
Even TV shows at this time suffer massively.
And now with Netflix, Amazon Prime and what not, viewers are really spoilt for choice.

In this scenario, everyone vying for viewership has to constantly find innovative ways to stay ahead of the pack.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:25 am

raja wrote:
Paddles wrote:

Very good analysis, Paddles. Thanks.

On Australia, if cricket continues on its downhill slide in that country, I fear we might soon see it also suffering the same fate as in NZ.
After all, it's all about eyeballs - and there are just SO many distractions/attractions competing for the same eyeball space today.
Not just in sport, but across all spheres that demand attention.

For example, even Bollywood is hesitant to release big-budget movies during the IPL.
In India, the evening IPL games are 8.00 p.m - 12 midnight slots (the earlier game, on days of 2 matches, is from 4.00 p.m - 8.00 p.m).
This grabbing of prime time straightaway hits Bollywood's viewership.
Even TV shows at this time suffer massively.
And now with Netflix, Amazon Prime and what not, viewers are really spoilt for choice.

In this scenario, everyone vying for viewership has to constantly find innovative ways to stay ahead of the pack.

Australia still have tests and t20's including almost all BBL games on FTA. But - if its the start of a increasing paywall - the same problem is in danger of occurring. The one thing Australia has, that Eng, SA and NZ do not - is cricket is actually very strong in their normal and typical public schools. Eng, SA and NZ - it is in the private schools (and top public Grammar schools). So if its not offered in the school, and not seen on TV, how do you get a kid interested enough to join a club to play it? Now the son of a sub-continental migrant - that's not much of an issue, but for a regular joe - it is a different kettle of fish. The Ashes on FTA tv further helps Australia a lot.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 am

I take it NZC has gotten to the point where international fans are going to keep pointing out where NZ cricketers are born.

What people need to remember - is that this speaks just as much about how little Kiwi interest in cricket there is.

Here is the list of current Black Caps:

South Africa

Munro - born SA (moved to NZ as a kid)
Phillips - born SA (moved to NZ as a kid)
Watling - born SA (moved to NZ as a kid)
Wagner - import from SA (ready-made)

India

Raval - born Ind (moved to NZ as a kid)
Sodhi - born Ind (moved to NZ as a kid)
A Patel - born Ind (moved to NZ as a kid)

Zimbabwe

CdG - import from Zimbabwe (ready made)

There are a stack of SaffirKiwi's comming through the domestic scene who are starring.

There is a SaffirKiwi doing well who moved to NZ as a kid:

Andrew Fletcher

This is the list of starring imports who are not yet eligible but could very well be in future NZ teams on recent form. These guys are blatantly and unashamedly recruited. NZC fans make no apology for this. In fact - we want more of them.

D Conway
M Nofal
D Foxcroft
C Bowes
W Ludick

There are many more Safricans like the Cachopa brothers who will not get into the NZ team because they are simply not good enough but play domestic in NZ. G Beghin seems destined for this category.

There is an guy from India who moved to NZ as a kid in B Popli - but he has been losing his form.

From Zimbabwe there is Peter Younghusband (moved here as a kid)

Now Sommerville is an interesting one. He was born in NZ. Then moved to Australia as a kid. Then came back to NZ for tertiary studies and played domestic cricket here. Then he went back to Aussie. Then he played for NSW. And now has come back to NZ to play for NZ. He has not yet played but is the current squad and could play the next test.

The Saffirs will dominate the NZC team in the future. It is the way NZ cricket is heading right now. They're simply so often the best cricketers around in NZ. Some are raised here, some are imports.
Last edited by Paddles on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elite honesty:

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 am

Thanks to the quota system in RSA, there would be good players who would move to NZ. Would be entitled to do so.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:19 am

bolero wrote:Thanks to the quota system in RSA, there would be good players who would move to NZ. Would be entitled to do so.

Indeed, and if Brexit ends the Kolpak - I am salivating at the thought of Pieterson, Trott, Lamb, R SMith, T Greig types to play for NZC. ;-D

But what many do not recognise - is that many Saffirs left Safrica not because of the quota system, but wider politics. Hence there are many who move to NZ as kids with their parents before they knew they were quality cricketers. And they play cricket well. Phillips, Munro, Watling, Fletcher are examples of this.

There are now 2 types of Safrican and Zimbabwean cricketers in NZ, imports and child migrants. I expect to see more and more of both in the Black Caps.

There is only one type of Indian cricketer in NZ - child migrants. Noone in their right mind would leave the riches of the IPL and BCCI for NZC. Noone.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:39 am

Just a reminder to the Australian fans on social media complaining about how 6 of NZC's winning team (Watling, Wagner, CdG, Raval, Patel and Sodhi) were born overseas - they chose to migrate to NZ, they were not forced to as a punishment. We're the New England Black Caps ;-)
Elite honesty: